Red Bull Joyride is a Freeride Mountain Bike event that will demand competitors to incorporate all facets of the sport including Slopestyle, Dirt Jump and North Shore. The course has been designed by professional riders in cooperation with the best builders in the business and promises to be the first of it’s kind. By ensuring maximum inclusion of natural terrain combined with gigantic man made features, Red Bull Joyride will challenge the possibilities and boundaries of Freeride Mountain Biking as we know them.
The atheletes competing in this weekend's competition make for a stellar showdown:
You can check out all the action in Whistler, BC however if you can't make it to Whistler this weekend, you can catch the Red Bull Joyride finals live on www.redbull.ca/joyride on Saturday, July 23.
Thursday, July 21 2011 - BEST TRICK COMPETITION
- All 25 invited athletes open to compete in a “best trick” contest
- 2 sessions of 45 minutes on pre-selected course features
- Rider judged event (Head Judge present to track of scores) & positioned with Announcer
- Starter must drop each athlete (coordinated start: Next rider, plate number etc)
- $4,000 Winner-Takes-All for best trick on each feature
- $1,000 per feature “Cash Grab” (total $2,000 cash) awarded by announcer in increments of $20-$100 on the spot for “wowing” the crowd (big tricks, crashes, attempts at new tricks, humour, etc).
Thursday, July 21 - QUALIFYING FORMAT
- 15 athletes
- 2 full-course runs
- Slopestyle Judges to observe both the Best Trick contest and the Qualifying runs. Riders will be ranked based on overall performance of both the Best Trick and the Qualifying runs.
- Based on a combination of performances in the qualifying runs and Best Trick, judges will select 6 athletes to advance to join the 10 pre-qualified riders for Red Bull Joyride on Saturday, July 23.
Saturday, July 23 - FINALS FORMAT
- 16 athletes (10 pre-qualified plus 6 riders advancing from Thursday qualifier)
- Best of 2 Runs
- Head Judge to oversee judging panel to allocate a score out of 100
- Top 8 riders advance to Super-Finals
- One Run Super-Final – reverse order seeding
- Super-Final Riders will be ranked based on the either their best score from Run 1, 2 or their Super-Final Score (super final can only advance an athlete’s result)
Slopestyle Judging Criteria:
- Four judges to score an Overall Impression out of 100 [scores averaged to give a total out of 100 for each run]
- Head Judge to review Overall Impression criteria at Tuesday Athlete Meeting
Athletes for Red Bull Joyride:
INVITED TO JULY 21 QUALIFERS
8 more to be confirmed
PREQUALIFIED FOR JULY 23 FINALS Brandon Semenuk