Red Bull Street Style is an exciting sport that combines soccer with rhythm and style. The rules are simple: 3 minutes, 2 players and 1 ball. After a three-year hiatus, the worldwide soccer contest will be returning to Canada in search of the nation’s best baller. The 2012 World Finals are set to take place in the spell binding setting of the Greek Theatre in Taormina (Italy/Messina) on September 20 - 22, 2012.
On Sunday, May 6 between 2:00PM to 5:00PM at The Hangar at Downsview Park Sports Centre ballers who are 16 years or older are asked to bring their bag of tricks and attempt to qualify for one of six spots in the National Final. Athletes under the age of 18 who wish to participate in the open call must have parental consent.
Invitations to participate in the Red Bull Street Style National Final have been accepted by eight of Canada’s elite ballers, which will be taking place on Saturday, July 28, 2012 at The Great Hall in Toronto.
Can’t make it to the Open Call? Two online video submissions spots for the Red Bull Street Style National Final are up for grabs starting May 7, 2012 until July 1, 2012. If you think you have what it takes and want to participate in the Canadian National Final, upload your video to www.redbullstreetstyle.com for a chance to battle it out with the county's top ballers. All videos will be reviewed by a panel of expert judges who will base 75% of their decision on style, technique, and creativity while the remaining 25% will be based on number of online votes each video has earned. Winners will be announced on Monday July 9, 2012.
ABOUT RED BULL STREET STYLE
Red Bull Street Style is a global competition for freestyler soccer players who show their skills by doing incredible tricks and movements with the ball. Athletes go head-to-head, expressing themselves while showing off their various ball tricks with their bodies. The jury evaluates the athletes' style, technique, and creativity in combination with music. Each battle follows the same format with each freestyler having 20 seconds to impress the judges before passing the ball back to his competitor. The top two from each group will progress to the last 16 stage, where they will battle it out on the final day, for the title Red Bull Street Style National Champion and will move on to the World Finals in Italy.
In 2010 more than 5,000 athletes took part in 200 national qualifying tournaments. The World Finals took place in Cape Town, South Africa, where Anders "Azun" Solum from Norway upset France's Arnaud "Sean" Garnier, who had won the inaugural World Final in 2008 in Sao Paulo (Brazil). Solum won over a star-studded jury that included three-time Africa footballer of the year George Weah and was presented the trophy by Edgar Davids, the Dutch football legend. The battle for the 2012 world championship begins.